Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Flamingo Skirt

Project: The Flamingo Skirt
Goals: make a skirt from a pattern I found on the internet

After Googling skirt patterns I found this one, which is adorable and amazing and I thought it would be a good match for this duvet cover I got from Ikea.

I cut the pieces as prescribed from the pattern. I don't have a craft table or a yard stick, which did make it a bit more difficult, I think. I also got craaaaaazy body conscious and added a couple centimeters to the waist measurements because I was terrified of making it too small.






Then I zig-zag stitched the ends, which turns out to be one of the more clever things I did; I'm not the straightest cutter so the zig-zagged bits helped me later to line the thing up.






Next I pinned the zipper in. Looking gooooooood. The zipper is one of the things I'm most proud of about the final project.










After I pinned the rest of the back panel, I sewed it all together.










Then I pressed the fabric for the waist band. Here's where my "add a few centimeters" idea didn't pay off... it's way too big but oh well, better too big than too small.










I stitched the band together.













Then I sewed a long stitch in the top of the front and back panels...









... and gathered the fabric along it.









Then I stitched the top and bottom panels together. It's starting to look like a skirt! At this stage I was terrified that the gathers would come loose.







I turned the skirt inside out and pinned the band to the top...









...and stitched it in.









Then I folded the band over and stitched it from the inside.









I added a button to close the band and voila it's finished!








As mentioned above it's a bit big so I'm going to fold and stitch the band to take some length off of it, then split the side seams to reclose them. I also think at this point I'll add pockets to it, because then it would be perfect.



1 comment:

  1. Hi I found your blog after searching for free sewing patterns. I think the skirt is cute. Good job! I recently became more interested in sewing and I'm trying to sew my own dresses and skirts:)

    ReplyDelete