Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Convertible Dress and the Reupholstered Slap-bracelets

So I've been back from Lithuania (where I got some "new" jumpers from a charity shop, so I'll be converting them shortly) for about five days now and feel super bad that I haven't updated in awhile; plus I noticed I've been taking fewer pictures while working on projects. I've got a project on the docket for today so I'm gonna definitely document that one better. Until I start on that, though, I thought I'd do some housekeeping and talk about the last two projects I finished.

Project: The Convertible Dress
Goals: Make a dress from information found on the internet

So I don't have many pictures of this because I kept throwing fits while making it so I'll just give you the tutorial and the final results from mine. I used the fabric I'd purchased at Season (the blue) and an old sheet from Auchan (the white with the print). I had so many problems with this dress but I think I'm going to try it again with this absolutely adorable fabric I saw at Season, and this time I'll do a better job. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and once I get my bias tape maker I'm gonna finish the edges up.


Project: The Reupholstered Slap-bracelets
Goal: To re-cover some slap-bracelets I bought in Lithuania

So I was wandering through a shopping centre in Vilnius and I found these light-reflective slap-bracelets made for children who bicycle at night (at least that's what the packaging led me to believe). I hadn't seen a slap-bracelet in years so I thought, awesome, I'm gonna get some and do something with them.





When I got home I looked through my fabric scrap stash and decided that the H&M top I'd used for the zipper-in-the-bag project would be perfect, so I cut out two strips.







I pressed the strips, inside-out, down the middle (so the bracelets would have one side in one colour and the other in the other).








Then I pinned the bracelets into the fabric...









...and stitched around two of the three open sides.









I then removed the bracelets and turned the covers right-side out.









Then I did a zigzag stitch at the last open end and trimmed away the fabric and voila! two newly re-covered slap-bracelets!



Yesterday Tasha came over and brought some old things she doesn't wear anymore, so I think my project for today will be to make something from two of the pieces (a dress and a skirt). I have high hopes for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment