Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's been awhile

I know it's been an inordinate amount of time but, in my defense, I've been inordinately busy/distracted. I just got back from a month-long trip back to the states, which was amazing. While there I made some new things:


a crinoline made from fabric I'd ordered from Mood


crossword puzzle skirt from Ebay fabric


the She-Ra dress, which I made from Vogue pattern v8074 (my first ever experiment with patterns, which went rather well, although I kind of invented the bodice myself, but the skirt is awesome)


a hat I made from a project idea on burdastyle.com


this apron for my sister


one of a number of dresses I made for my niece, but this is the only one with a matching (reversible!) hat

As usual I had loads of problems... with the crinoline, it was tough-going gathering the ridiculously long strips of tulle so it ended up a bit uneven. I made the hat way too big (another case of not trusting my measurements and being terrified things will end up too small) and the crossword puzzle too long. The She-Ra dress is supershort but it goes with the character...

I also went to JoAnn Fabrics (amazing) and Hobby Lobby more times than I can count. What I wouldn't give for one here in Moscow... 

Also, I got an issue of Threads (which is wonderful) and a new pattern to practice with:


Very exciting! I love the design of the pattern, which is like a little book, and it's so cute. Also, they respond very quickly to e-mails and are super nice. Can't wait to try it!

I didn't get a chance to make the Carmen Sandiego dress, but I brought the pattern back with me so hopefully I'll be able to.


I also brought back my physics fabric which I ordered from Spoonflower:


The plan is to make a skirt out of it, and then make the top from the Colette pattern above in either the blue or the purple. I can't decide which one I want to start with first... I'm leaning towards making some of those tops. Okay, that's all for now. When it stops being so damned hot in the country I'll write more!

No comments:

Post a Comment