Sunday, May 23, 2010

Weekend Projects

Even though I had to train on Saturday and I had to examine and help out with the open house on Sunday, I still managed to make three (count 'em: three) new things this weekend.

First I took this H&M dress I bought in Stockholm, which I adore


The problem is the shirring on the bodice: it slips right between bits of flesh that do not need to be highlighted in hot pink with white polka dots. So I cut the top off:


Then I pinned down a casing for belting...


...which I stitched closed...


...then fed a black belt-like thing from another skirt through. Ta-da! Cute new skirt with none of the roll-enhancing qualities of the dress!


The next thing I made was a sandwich wrap, which I took from Sewing Green.  I used the two raincoat fabrics I'd bought last week at Season.


This is the bread I usually make my sandwiches out of, which I needed to use as a template.


I had forgotten to bring in the book into the office to photocopy the pattern, so I winged it a little while cutting the pieces out.


I hemmed up the bits...


...and connected them all, creating a maxi-pad looking thing.


Then I stitched on two bits of velcro...


...and wrapped up a sandwich! Supercute, right?





Of course it matches my lunch tote to a T. The last thing I made this weekend was another project from Sewing Green; a little girls' dress from an old pillowcase. I still had the pillowcase which matches the duvet cover I used to make the flamingo skirt so I thought I'd make a little dress for my darling niece Lorelei. Here are my materials:


First I cut off the top of the pillowcase and cut out the armholes...


...then I found my old stash of leftovers from the flamingo skirt to use as bias tape to bind said armholes...


...which I did.


Next came making the casing for the ribbon ties at the shoulders...


...and then threading the ribbon through. I think working with ribbon is my favourite thing in the world.


Then I sewed the rickrack along the bottom, to keep the flap used to cover the pillow flush against the dress and, voila, a little girl's dress! I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment