Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day Long Weekend - Day 1


So here in Russia (and elsewhere in Europe and possibly the world, I guess) it's time to celebrate May Day, which means I do not have to work on Monday, which is awesome. So I'm dedicating this three-day weekend to sewing some stuff and spring cleaning. I did the kitchen today, which meant cleaning out the fridge (which had vacuum-sealed corn-on-the-cob from JULY OF LAST YEAR and a bunch of other things I'd rather not mention) and cleaning the windows (I'm amazed at this aspect; it's like I removed a whole layer of curtains). Speaking of curtains, I finally hemmed mine up, which has been a potential project since I got Ethel.

Here's the before (what you can see is that they almost touch the floor, what you can't see is how shoddily I had trimmed them when I hung them up)...



And here's the after (I trimmed them to just past the windowsill, which I think looks nice... however, they are uneven. Oops)...



I also made little ties to cinch them up but, combined with the new cleanliness of the windows, it makes me feel like I'm completely on display, which is unnerving when you're prancing around your flat in only a pair of knickers on May Day.


My second project of the day was to finish a cardigan refashion I had started two days ago. Here's my inspiration:


Yeah, the First Lady's Junya Watanabe cardigan (of which she owns two, by the by). I love that people were so polarized by this cardigan, and I think it's a cute idea, like a little cardi mash-up. So I took the other two sweaters I had bought in Vilnius:


...and I cut them down the middles, and then harvested the sleeves. What this means is I could, theoretically, make another cardigan out of this, which I think I will for my mom since she's so in love with the First Lady (and the president moreso, actually, but really, who isn't?).


I lined up the bodice bits and stitched them together along the back and stitched the sleeves on the opposite bodice bit. I was upset because the front part was kind of gape-y and I still haven't received my bias-tape maker (thank you, Russian Postal Service) but then I found this amazingness and I was able to make bias-tape from the remaining bits of one of the skirts I used from the apron project (they're kind of hard to see but they're perfect, I'm so happy).


I stitched them up the fronts of the cardigan, leaving quite a bit hanging off the top (which was lucky)...


...and then I added three of the buttons also from that skirt, so they match like a dream.



I decided at this point that I would leave the ends of the bias-esque-tape on and use them to tie the tops of the cardigan together because, it turns out, having used sweaters with different fabric contents and different lengths spawned some interesting fitting issues. Here's the final product:



And here I am wearing it buttoned-up. You can see that I've tied the ties off-centred, because I feel when they're tied too centrally they give a bit of a Pilgrim vibe (it's blurry, I know, but I've had a long day cleaning and was a bit self-conscious of my face so I tried a different approach). I do like how asymmetrical it is; it looks better when my arm's not raised taking a picture without my face.


Here's the cardigan not buttoned, which I also enjoy.


My goals for the rest of the weekend are to make this adorable Greco-Romanesque dress from an old sheet and to use bias-tape (yay!) to finish the infinity dress I made awhile ago. And anything else I have time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment