Thursday, May 6, 2010

May Day Long Weekend - Days 2+3

So on Sunday and Monday of the previous long weekend I only made one new thing, but I also finished the convertible/infinity dress (finally!). That took me all day Sunday (making the bias tape was very time-consuming). Here's what the new bottom of the dress looks like:





I'm very pleased with it. It looks so much more finished, which is fantastic.

On to the new piece I made. I didn't take loads of pictures of the process because I misplaced my camera in the middle of it. So all I've got are the before and after pictures of the fabric. I had Google searched for how to turn a sheet into a dress and came up with this little beauty, which I desperately wanted to make. I had this old duvet cover from Ikea:


which is light pink on one side and dark pink on the other. Initially my plan was to make it reversible but I realized my seams were all wrong for that so I ended up using the light pink on the outside since it's a more muted colour. Also, using two pieces of fabric, especially quite thick fabric like this, was not the smartest move for this dress. When it came time to gather the sleeve bits there was just way too much fabric to deal with, so I gathered as much as I could and then made little ties to cinch the ends up. This actually worked out way in my favour because it ended up creating a semi-sweetheart neckline and cute little cap-esque sleeves. Here's how it looks finally:


I'm super happy with it. I'll try to get a better picture, though, of the detailing on the sleeves and the ties but I think you get the picture.

Next up is to try to make one of these satin rosettes (I seem to have forgotten lately that I adore fake flowers) and, also, on Monday (my birthday) I'm going to Ikea to get some fabric to make some more spring dresses. I'm currently in love with the idea of a dress from this print. But of course I'm also looking forward to just looking at their fabrics and feeling like I'm in a real country. Yay! Plus soon I'll be headed to America for a few weeks where I'll insist on sewing with my sister, and I already have two patterns waiting there for me, so, we'll see how that goes. Oh, and I have some fabric from Mood waiting for me there as well to make a crinoline. How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment